- This event has passed.
‘By the People, For the People’ Exhibition at The National Coal Mining Museum
April 3, 2017 @ 11:00 am - December 31, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
On 1st January 1947 the coal industry became nationalised. Britain’s mines were no longer the property of individual coal companies or owners, but were now managed by the National Coal Board (NCB) on behalf of the people.
Throughout 2017, we will be marking the 70th anniversary of the nationalisation of the coal industry with a special exhibition ‘By the People, For the People’. As we look back to the start of this historic event and explore why the mines were nationalised and what it meant for the industry and its workforce, we will also be considering the current debates around nationalisation.
Since 1947 a number of industries and services have been nationalised. We want you to join us as we look at the arguments for and against nationalisation. What would you nationalise or even renationalise today? What would it mean for you? The decision is yours!
There are lots of ways to get involved with the exhibition.
- If you come to the Museum, talk to a member of staff and share your memories of nationalisation.
- Join the Debate! Visit our interactive displays and share your thoughts on which industries and services you would want to see being nationalised today.
- Visit our online exhibition hub, which includes lots of information about forthcoming events linked to the nationalisation theme.
- Share your memories using our online form >> Nationalisation memories.
- If you are on social media, you can follow news about the exhibition on the Museum’s Facebook page or on Twitter at #nationalisation #JoinTheDebate.
- Commemorate a member of your family or your community group in the Miners’ Memorial Garden.